FREDONIA, NY – The Penn State Behrend women's swimming and diving is in second place with 173 points after the first day of the Blue Devil Invitational hosted by Fredonia on Thursday.
Score: Behrend in 2nd place out of five teams (173); Allegheny (1st – 303), Alfred State (3rd – 166), Brockport (4th – 159), Fredonia (5th – 152)
* Paola Maldonado (San Juan, Puerto Rico) had the best finish of the day, taking third in the 50 free with a time of 25.36
* Marcella Puglia (Beaver Falls, PA/Blackhawk) was the lone Behrend Lion to make the 500 free final, finishing in fifth place (5:19.57)
* Allison McClure (Loveland, OH/Milford), Barbie Cessar (Slippery Rock, PA/Slippery Rock), Maldonado and Devon van Rensburg (Johannesburg, South Africa/Crawford) led the Lions to a fifth-place finish in the 400 medley relay (4:25.96)
* In the 200 IM, Cessar was the top finisher for Behrend with sixth place (2:24.28)
* The final 800 free relay consisting of Jessica Wyckoff (Elma, NY/Iroquois), Puglia, McClure and Abigail Witmer (Herndon, VA/Herndon) was second overall with a time of 8:15.94
* The Lions return to action on tomorrow for day two of the Blue Devil Invite. The preliminaries begin at 11 a.m. and the finals at 7 p.m.