ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's swimming and diving team won their 13th straight Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) Championship on Saturday night in the Junker Center Pool. Senior Mark Patterson (North Huntingdon, PA/Norwin) won AMCC Swimmer of the Year for the third straight year, while Chase Bietz (Clearfield, PA/Clearfield Area) earned Newcomer of the Year and head coach Jen Wallace was voted Coach of the Year.
Men's Scores: 1. Penn State Behrend (895), 2. Alfred State (421), 3. Pitt-Bradford (228), 4. Penn State Altoona (223), 5. SUNY Delhi (119)
* In similar fashion to Thursday, the Lions won all the swimming events once again
* Behrend won by more than double the points of second-place Alfred State
* Freshman James Connolly (Allentown, PA/Parkland) swam an NCAA 'B' cut time in the 1650 freestyle and broke six records in the process. He set a new AMCC Meet, AMCC Open and Team record in the 1650 with a time of 16:06.60 and also did the same in the first 1000 yards of the race.
* For the fourth straight year, Patterson has been crowned AMCC Champion in the 200 backstroke. He swam an NCAA 'B' cut time of 1:49.74 to set a new AMCC Meet and pool record.
* Despite not swimming in the 100 free race, Patterson set four records on the first leg of the 400 freestyle relay. He swam 46.28 to break the team, pool, AMCC Meet and Open records.
* The 400 freestyle relay team finished the meet in dramatic fashion, breaking the team record, AMCC Meet and Open records with a time of 3:07.17.
* In the 100 freestyle, Alex Croll (Honolulu, HI/Roosevelt) won his first AMCC title in this event. He beat teammate Quinn Fischer (Fairview, PA/Fairview) by .06 seconds with a winning time of 47.43.
* Bietz broke two records on the way to being named AMCC Champion in the 200 breaststroke. He set a new AMCC Meet and pool record with a time of 2:05.73.
* Matt Karenbauer (Butler, PA/Knoch) swept the butterfly events, touching first in the 200 butterfly tonight after winning the 100 butterfly yesterday. He recorded a winning time of 1:57.14.
2nd – David Ewing (South Fayette, PA/South Fayette) – 16:46.59
3rd – Brady Mattson (Wilmington, DE/Delaware Military Academy) – 16:47.52
4th – Jacob Schmidt (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) – 16:52.69
5th – Luc Tomasello (Sharon, PA/Sharon) – 17:32.29
2nd – Liam Watterson (Brentwood, PA/Baldwin) – 1:57.20
5th – Cole Dombrosky (Mount Pleasant, PA/Mount Pleasant) – 2:05.86
* The Behrend Lions are back in action on Saturday at the Kenyon Invite. Meet time is 1:30 p.m.