FREDONIA, NY – Penn State Behrend women's swimming and diving earned a second-place finish with a team score of 566 on the final day of the Fredonia Blue Devil Invitational on Saturday.
Score: Behrend 2nd out of five teams (566 points), Allegheny (1st – 1014), Fredonia (3rd – 528), Alfred State (4th – 523), Brockport (5th – 508)
* Only 58 points separated second place through fifth place. The Lions edged out Fredonia in third by 38 points
* Freshman Marcella Puglia (Beaver Falls, PA/Blackhawk) had the best finish of the day, placing second in the 1650 freestyle (18:37.80)
* Senior Abigail Witmer (Herndon, VA/Herndon) was sixth in the 200 backstroke (2:19.95) for the best Behrend time in the event
* In the 100 freestyle, senior Jessica Wyckoff (Elma, NY/Iroquois) was fifth overall (55.42)
* Freshman Barbie Cessar (Slippery Rock, PA/Slippery Rock) was fourth in the 200 breaststroke (2:40.90)
* The foursome of Wyckoff, Puglia, Witmer and Devon van Rensburg placed fourth in the final 400 freestyle relay (3:47.84)
* The Lions return to action after the New Year with Washington & Jefferson at home on Saturday, January 12. The dual meet begins at 1 p.m.