ERIE, Pa. - The visiting Carnegie Mellon University Tartans topped Penn State Behrend in non-conference action by a final score of 4-1 on Tuesday night. Carnegie Mellon started the day ranked No. 13 in the D-III Top 25 Poll, when the latest poll was released just a few hours before kickoff, the Tartans had moved up to No. 8 in the nation.
Score: #8 Carnegie Mellon 4, Penn State Behrend 1
Records: #8 Carnegie Mellon (8-0-2, 1-0-0 UAA), Penn State Behrend (6-3-2, 2-0-1 AMCC)
* The Tartans struck first in the contest. Jordi Long scored his third goal of the season in the ninth minute to give CMU an early 1-0 lead. Jamie Wheaton was credited with an assist on Long's goal.
* Long struck again later in the first half, scoring in the 32nd minute to push the Tartans' advantage to 2-0.
* CMU would add two more goals in just four minutes to grab a 4-0 lead.
* Penn State Behrend did manage to get on the scoreboard before the conclusion of the first half. A handball in the box by CMU set up a Ryan Maurer (Cranberry Twp, PA/Seneca Valley) penalty kick. Maurer converted the PK for his fourth goal of the season.
* Penn State Behrend nearly scored on several occasions in the second half. CMU goalkeeper Alec Lam made an acrobatic save to prevent Logan Brinsky (Pittsburgh, PA/Peters Township) from scoring. Ryan Maurer also sent a free kick from outside the box that sailed through traffic and was just wide of the net.
* Penn State Behrend goalkeeper Chris Ralph (Murraysville, PA/Franklin Regional) made four saves for the Behrend Lions.
* Penn State Behrend will be back in action on Saturday October 3 when the team travels to Stuebenville, Ohio for a road matchup with AMCC-foe Franciscan. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:15 p.m. following the conclusion of the women's contest.